A Biodynamic® farm must actively use the resources from the farm itself as anything allowed to go into the soil from outside the farm’s own borders is extremely limited. This fosters fertility, biodiversity, and nutrient-dense plants, as well as healthy and happy animals.
This is achieved through the following:
- The farm is viewed as a living organism, not just the plants and animals living within it. It is self-contained, self-sustaining, and follows the cycles of its local ecology.
- Cover-cropping is required, not simply recommended.
- Reserving 10% of farming acreage for natural, uncultivated biodiversity is a requirement.
- Use of the 9 Biodynamic “preparations” (specific formulas to enhance soil quality and compost, and increasing microbiological activity).
- The use of any GMO’s is strictly prohibited.
- The farm must recycle “waste” products into other areas of the farm, for example composting and making plant-made fertilizers and pesticides.
- People management practices are regulated, meaning that a Biodynamic® farm must treat its employees and contractors fairly and equitably.
What Biodynamic® Means to Maison/Made
To Maison/Made, luxury means a dedication to craftsmanship that renders high quality skincare. Craftsmanship is expressed through our formulations as well as our farming practices. The superior quality of our ingredients are a direct reflection of the Biodynamic® Demeter certification we have earned for our business. To maintain this certification our company is held to the following standards:
- Annual studio inspections
- Strict ingredient sourcing regulations
- Strict storage and handling regulations
- Formulation review
- Frequent supplier verifications
- Responsibility to aid in the healing of the planet